
We take it for granted - living in this privileged country. We wake up, put the kettle on, make some coffee, take a shower for ages, and brush our teeth without thinking about it. We buy water in bulk from Costco or Loblaw's or any other supermarket.
The UN reports that 1.1 billion people around the world are in shortage of clean drinking water. The absence of water leads to many health issues including eye disease. That's not something that should happen.
That data came with the latest newsletter that I just received from A Cup Of Water Internationl Inc. I've been following this missionary-based organization for a couple of years now, and it's bittersweet every time I receive news - encouragement comes from knowing that another village now has a new water source but there are still many more that are in need of outside technology and help. Going on my own missions trip last summer in rural China also made me appreciate clean water and how wasteful I usually am with water. I just hope that I can remember these people every time I turn on the faucet.
No comments:
Post a Comment